A commercial kitchen at home can help you easily prepare hygienic food items and sell them. Also, it can be easy to serve your family and friends during parties with a commercial kitchen. However, the problem with the large kitchen is finding a convenient place for it at home.
Experts say building a commercial kitchen in a shed can solve the problem. It is a practical idea because the shed will save your costs on roofing the outdoor kitchen. All you need is to check the shed to ensure it has enough space for installing the stoves, plumbing system, electrical wiring, and your movement.
So, without wasting time in the introduction, let’s jump into the process.
Building A Commercial Kitchen In A Shed:
An outdoor shed can be truly amazing. You can turn it into a car garage, kid’s playroom, and a commercial kitchen. The commercial kitchen in the shed can be an excellent option. It is ideal for a large gathering or roadside food vending business.
Step 1: Get the permission:
When you plan a kitchen in the shed, the first thing that comes to mind is permission. Naturally, most people ask, “Can I turn my shed into a commercial kitchen?”
Yes, it is possible to make a commercial kitchen in the shed. You need to take permission for it from the local building authorities. Unless a drain or major electric wiring runs underneath the shed, you should get permission easily.
Step 2: Prepare the basic formation of the kitchen:
When you obtain the kitchen permission, you need to create the basic structure for it. We suggest you get 10ft by 12ft space for the standalone structure. If your commercial kitchen is smaller than it, you will have a hard time moving inside it.
- First, create the permanent footings of the kitchen. You can use cinder blocks to create the concrete footing.
- Next, prepare the framework for the shed kitchen. You can use two by four blocks to create the framework.
- You need to leave space for the main entrance, exit door, and window. Alternatively, you may keep one side fully open for better ventilation. But it also increases the chance of dust coming inside the kitchen.
- When you have built the framework of the kitchen, use a finishing nail to secure its exterior siding with nails.
- Finally, attach a roof to the shed kitchen. We encourage you to build a metal roof for the best protection.
Step 3: Insulate the kitchen:
You should insulate the walls of the kitchen. As you insulate the kitchen shed walls, it will safeguard the shed and kitchen from electrical damage. Usually, people use fiberglass insulation for outdoor shed kitchens.
At first, find roll-type fiberglass. Then, place it right in the gap between wall studs. In some localities, insulating the kitchen wall is mandatory. So, you should never ignore the insulation processing.
Step 4: Install the plumbing and electrical wiring:
Next, mount the entire plumbing system in your shed kitchen. It requires multiple steps as follows:
- Connect the right water line with the kitchen. You can run it from inside the home or from an outdoor faucet.
- The draining point and shutoff valves are also necessary. You need to install them at the lowest point for proper functioning.
- You are also required to mount the adapter for mal threading for the sink tubes. Next, mount the P-trap adapter of the kitchen sink and PVC drainpipe.
- Finally, you need to connect the kitchen sink and P-trap that will lead to the main sewage line.
You might follow these instructions to prepare the right outdoor kitchen plumbing. You will also need to fix the electrical wiring. First, mount the breaker box. It will accommodate the 220-V electrical plug. It will be useful to mount the electric stove later.
When installing the wiring, you should follow the proper building and electric codes.
Step 5: Securing the plumbing system and electrical wiring:
Since the commercial kitchen will be in an outdoor shed, you need to secure its wiring and plumbing. However, you needn’t use expensive materials for it. Use heat tape to wrap the plumbing system and wirings. It will secure the system largely.
The heat tape will also protect the pipes from freezing during winter. When you install the joists, mount staple insulation through the joists.
Step 6: Install the floor joist and finish flooring:
You must install good flooring to keep pests and others away from the kitchen. Firstly, mount the floor joists carefully. Then, add ½ inches plywood to it. Finish the following by adding vinyl or linoleum subfloor over the plywood.
Finally, arrange the kitchen appliances properly. You can add kitchen cabinets additionally, too. It will help you store the commercial kitchen items safely.
Step 7: Finish off the kitchen setup:
You should install a storage shelf in the kitchen. It is crucial because you will need large storage space to store the cooking items and utensils for the commercial kitchen. We suggest you install a 12 by 18 inches shelf for storage.
You must also install downspouts and gutters on the kitchen shed to safeguard it from weather and elements. It will help you increase the lifespan of the kitchen.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the layout of a commercial kitchen?
These are five common layouts for commercial kitchens. It includes an open kitchen setup, zone-style, island, galley, and assembly line.
- How small can a commercial kitchen be?
There’s no space limitation for a commercial kitchen. You can easily create a commercial kitchen space in even 200 square feet. Just make sure you can move there freely and cook conveniently.
- Does a commercial kitchen have to be stainless steel?
Using stainless steel in a commercial kitchen is useful to boost its lifespan. You will also find it ideal for keeping the kitchen neat and clean, which is mandatory for maintaining hygiene.
Building a commercial kitchen in a shed is straightforward. You need to get proper permission, install the stud walls, insulate them and finally, mount the plumbing and electrical wiring. You should follow proper building, plumbing, and electrical wiring codes when building the large outdoor kitchen. It will ensure proper safety.
Leave a Reply